Traffic Light System for Return to International Travel
13 May 2021
From 17 May 2021, a cautious approach for resuming international travel has been announced for people living in Scotland and England, but strict border control measures will remain in place.
- see the Scottish Government’s announcement
- see the UK government’s announcement
- Wales and Northern Ireland governments are yet to release information on resuming international travel.
As part of the strict border measures, a traffic light system has been set up by the UK Government’s Global Travel Taskforce for travellers arriving into the UK.
The traffic light system:
- does not indicate which countries are currently allowing UK travellers to enter their country
- categorises countries into a red, amber or green list based on risk of coronavirus (COVID-19)
- indicates what a traveller must do regarding quarantine and testing upon their return to the UK
It is your responsibility to ensure you are permitted to enter the country you are travelling to.
Before booking any international travel
Prior to booking any international travel, you must first check if the country you are travelling to is currently accepting UK travellers.
- Each FCDO foreign travel advice page provides up to date information on entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19) under the 'Entry Requirements' section.
- You should be aware that some countries or territories may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination status for entry.
For planned travel to red, amber and green countries, you should check the rules on the UK government website prior to booking travel; and also ensure you are able to comply with the rules for re-entering the UK appropriate to the UK nation you will be arriving in and live in (if different).
You should also review the COVID-19 Health Considerations for Travel advice page for further information on:
- FCDO Travel Advisory Notices
- The risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) at your destination
- Requirements for COVID testing at your destination prior to return
- Self-isolation rules on return to the UK
- Travel Insurance
- Medical Facilities at your destination
Demonstrating COVID-19 vaccination status when travelling abroad
If you are living in England, the UK government has provided guidance for demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status.
If you are living in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, information on how you can demonstrate your COVID-19 vaccination status is yet to be announced.
fitfortravel website will continue to be updated as soon as further guidance is issued by the UK 4 nation governments.